Saturday, March 22, 2008

Houston - no no no no no, LA - yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

I am still not impressed with Houston - and at this point, probably never will be.

Tuesday was a little better than Monday, but not much.  The conference was pretty good, and I met some interesting people.  I also did a little shopping at The Galleria and found some good jeans and a pair of shorts on sale at Macys.  So far, the day was looking up.  Then in the evening I went to the NASA space center as an outing with the conference.  I debated about going as I was so tired, but thought when would I ever get the chance again so I better. Mistake.  The center was not really a lot to see, there were kids swarming all over the place, and I didn't get to go on the tram ride to tour the facility, which is the thing I really wanted to do.  The up side was that there was a bbq put on in the space center which was good, but that was about it.  When they announced that the first tour bus was leaving the facility, I practically raced to the door.

Wednesday started out a bit better.  I found out my company won two awards for the maps we turned into the map competition.  Plus I was leaving the God-forsaken city of Houston.  However the day quickly got worse as the Super Shuttle service that was picking me up to take me to the airport was late, got stuck in traffic, and I almost didn't make my plane to LA.  I would have been livid, but thankfully, on the plane my suitcase and I went.  I arrived in LA, got my suitcase, got the rental car (after waiting in life for half an hour), and drove out to my friend and her husband's house - I'll call them Meadow and Rugby

My time in LA has been fabulous - really quite relaxing.  I've been lounging around their house, which has a lovely pool and a lovely view, reading the new Sophie Kinsella book, Remember Me? and getting a tan (hopefully).  On Thursday night we went to this place called The Velvet Margarita and woo-eee did Meadow and I get drunk.  We also got holla'd at - once in the bar (Whooooooa...rooooooowwwrrr) and the second time as we were leaving the bar (You ladies need a sugar daddy?  How 'bout a nice guy?).  Only in LA :)

Since then I've been driving around their little town outside of LA, went to Hollywood today to The Grove and the Farmer's Market, and have had fro you twice (frozen yogurt, for those of you not in the know).  I've also been able to hang out with some of Meadow's and Rugby's friends, who I had met before at their wedding a couple years ago but hadn't seen since.  It's really been grand, and sort of makes me want to move to LA, though I don't think I could leave my family back in Seattle.

Tomorrow I leave back to the Emerald City and am sad to leave my friend and the lovely sunshine.  But back to reality I must go.  I'll have to gear up for the weeks ahead at work as it's likely to be very very busy.  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I love that I am reading this in the same room as you!! hahaha!

Yes, MOVE TO L.A.! Or, at least, "foreign exchange" here for a year!!