Monday, March 17, 2008

Not Impressed

I have to say, thus far, I am not impressed with Houston.  People are not nearly as hospitable as was the general impression I had, the conference has been kind of ridiculous (decent workshops, but there's just certain little things that have annoyed me), the airport is disgusting, the mall the hotel is linked to is so big I keep getting lost when trying to look for anything (which normally I would love a big mall, but even I can't take this), everything looks brown and flat, and to top it all off, it's in the Central time zone so all my shows are on a hour earlier, throwing off my schedule.  

I have to elaborate on the hospitality thing, because there is one thing that is bugging me the most.  When I arrived at the airport I waited over half an hour for my suitcase to arrive through baggage claim, then I went to a shuttle counter as I had reserved a ride to the hotel through them. They couldn't find my reservation.  Let me say that the first impression I got from the gal behind the counter was fabulous - hair all out of whack, a lazy/bitchy look on her face, and  a gold front tooth.  That's right - she had bling in her teeth.  Nice.  

I gave the girl a phone number and my first and last name and nothing.  Of course I didn't have a confirmation code with me because usually my name is enough - not a lot of people have my name, and combined with my last name it's really quite original.  So I call my husband and he gives me a code and I go back and they find it - it was under my maiden name.  Should I have possibly thought I put it under my maiden name?  Maybe, since I still haven't changed my debit card, but don't you think when this chick looked up reservations by first name for the time I specified, she could have said "the only reservation I have is for a (insert maiden name here)"?   How many people with my first name can there possibly be coming in at 5:30pm.  Give me a break.

I'm hoping tomorrow is a better day.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Time to leave Houston and come to L.A.!!!

Unknown said...

Bling...that is classic! I can just see it. Klassy!

*** said...

I've definitely had similiar experiences in the Houston airport...the best one was claiming the plane was waiting for me when I arrived (flight in was two hours late!), so I run over and the plane had left 30 minutes earlier. SO, yea, I feel ya. Time to return to the West Coast!