Sunday, February 10, 2008

Here we come a'caucusing...

This weekend were the Washington state caucuses and for the first time ever I decided to go. I figured this presidential race is probably one of the most interesting (and possibly most important) I could ever see, so it was time to go and cast my vote. Originally I was planning on going, signing in and voting, then leaving. Once I got there I thought "well, maybe I'll stay" - then I ran into a friend from the sorority who I hadn't seen in forever. She was leaving right after voting, so I decided to leave with her to go grab a cup of coffee and catch up. Turns out she's working down at the Capital as a session aide in the Senate and loves it. It was very interesting to hear about as I've never given much thought to what goes on at the capital, but she was so passionate about it I was definitely captivated.

Today has mainly been about a rest day and a house duty day. I went to the store earlier than I normally do (even before breakfast) and got the grocery shopping out of the way. Then I started in on the laundry - and amazingly enough have kept tabs on it all day. Usually I start in the afternoon and then forget it until I only have enough time to finish one more load. Not today! I also cleaned up the kitchen and installed one of those automatic shower cleaners in our guest shower/tub. I absolutely detest cleaning the shower and bathtub and thought maybe I wouldn't have to if I installed that cleaner system. I'll have to give an update after two weeks (once it's supposed to get things cleaner).

I also cooked dinner today, like a real honest-to-goodness dinner (not just lean pockets or chicken tenders or something). I marinated some chicken in this Chili Coconut Rub With Love from Tom Douglas (a famous Seattle chef). It's not actually a rub, it's a sauce that can be used as a glaze or a marinade. I baked the chicken in the oven after marinating it, then cooked some rice and peas and it was soooo good. I am definitely a fan of this particular marinade - plus I feel it's a fairly healthy meal as it's skinless chicken breast with rice (maybe not so healthy) and peas. Yummy! Now I'm wrapping up the evening with folding the last of the clothes and gearing up for the week ahead. Hopefully it won't be a crazy one.

1 comment:

Jen said...

That's so cool you went to the caucus! Go you!

And your dinner sounds delish!