Monday, January 14, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like...snow

It has barely stopped snowing at our house and I am not happy about it. I should clarify - I'm not happy that it snowed in the first place, and I actually am happy that it stopped. I cannot stand driving in snow, or driving after it's snowed, or driving on snow - anything involved with snow and driving I pretty much can't stand. It makes my muscles get all tense and my stomach do flip flops of anxiousness. So you can imagine the fact that I need to be in Kirkland tomorrow at 6:30 am (to pick up a coworker and drive down to Fort Lewis for a site visit by 7:45 am) is not sitting well with me. These are the times I wish I was a kid, when I would pray for snow every week so I didn't have to go to school. Which makes me think of a funny little story from my childhood - well, technically my brother's childhood, but roll with me here.

My family has always loved listening to Christmas carols, and Bing Crosby is one of our favorites. We would listen to the album over and over again. According to my mom, the song "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" came on and my younger brother was singing away. Right after the line "and Mom & Dad can hardly wait for school to start again", my brother (who was probably in kindergarten or around that age), turned to her and asked "Why do you want us to go back to school?" in this completely sad little voice, as if he was supremely hurt that his parents would want him out of the house. My mom just cracked up.

Aaaaahhh, to be young and naive again.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Haha! Too cute! I couldn't wait for Josh to go back to school this Christmas. Does that count? :)